Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2019

Finishing up data collection for February

Great Blue Heron
Red-Tailed Hawk
Abert's Towhee
So this past weekend was the last weekend for collecting data in February. This month has given me quite a bit to consider about my results. 3 of my six collection days were rained out. I still got out there and identified the birds that I saw but there seemed to be a markedly smaller number of birds active on these days. I haven't had a chance to enter my data into my sheet yet so I'm curious if I am going to see a big skew to my results. If it does I'll have to figure out if I should just disregard the data, or just point out that it is an outlier when compared to the rest of the data points. I'll be planning on seeing my mentor early next week to see what his thoughts are this predicament. Luckily, Sunday was gorgeous and I saw a ton of wildlife and got some great shots after I finished my identifications.
Sunrise at Tres Rios Wetlands



3 comments:

  1. Wow these pictures are amazing! So beautiful I love all the colors in the background of the bird Abert's Towhee and that sunrise is beautiful! And may I suggest you do both graphs. One with all 6 of your collections and then do another one with just the 3 days that you saw more activity, that way you will be able to make a comparison of the two and then determine based on the outliers and standard deviation, which one would be better! Anyways great job! Cannot wait to see your future picture shots of wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are just so pretty. I swear, I come to your blog just to look at the pictures. I hope that your experiment comes along just as well as the pictures. My experience in research has been a series of hurry up and wait and mishaps followed by adjustments that my procedures are generally better after. Your experiment seems to be moving along so smoothly though. I look forward to hearing how you adjust to your odd data.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete